Michael Cooper is the principal of Cooper IP and is supported by a team of experienced staff with many years experience in the field of intellectual property.
Michael is recognised in the IAM Patent 1000 – the World’s Leading Patent Professionals. Prior to choosing small firm practice, Michael worked for over 10 years with one of Australia’s largest and most prestigious IP firms, helping companies and individuals obtain intellectual property protection in Australia and in other countries. With a pragmatic approach and a commercial focus, Michael works closely with clients to guide them through the process of protecting their intellectual property to maintain or obtain a competitive advantage.
Michael has a strong engineering background and combines a passion for intellectual property with a keen interest in technical innovation. He developed a love of cars while tinkering as a teenager, which led to a mechanical engineering degree and the privilege of working as an engineer with GM Holden. The skills he learnt in the early stages of his engineering career have been an amazing asset in his career as a patent attorney.
After 10 years with a large firm, Michael left to build a boutique firm so that he can continue to provide clients with work of the highest quality, and form enduring attorney-client relationships that build trust, and ensuring a premium and personal level of service on a cost effective basis.
Qualifications and registrations:
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Hons);
- Masters in Intellectual Property Law;
- Trans Tasman Patent Attorney; and
- Australian Trade Mark Attorney.
- Fellow of the Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA);
- Fellow of Engineers Australia;
- Member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australian and New Zealand (IPSANZ);
- Member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA);
- Member of the Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA); and
- Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA).