Patent & Trade Marks Attorney, Director
MIPLaw | BEng (Hons)
Prior to founding Cooper IP, Michael worked for over ten years with one of Australia’s largest and most prestigious IP firms. There, he was responsible for helping companies, SMEs and individuals secure intellectual property protection in Australia and overseas.
Recognised in the IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, Michael’s client’s benefit from his pragmatic approach and commercial focus. He guides them through the process of intellectual property protection from start to finish, helping them obtain and capitalise on their competitive advantages.
Michael has a strong engineering background and combines a passion for intellectual property with a keen interest in technical innovation. After developing a love of cars as a teenager, Michael completed an engineering degree and worked as a mechanical engineer at GM Holden. This engineering background has proven invaluable for Michael’s tech-savvy clients who appreciate Michael’s comprehensive understanding of their inventions.
Having practiced in one of Australia’s largest IP firms for over ten years, Michael founded Cooper IP, a boutique IP firm whose aim is to better support Australian innovators through cost-effective and bespoke intellectual property services.
Qualifications and registrations:
- Master of Intellectual Property Law
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Hons)
- Trans-Tasman Patent Attorney
- Australian Trade Marks Attorney
- Fellow of the Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
- Fellow of Engineers Australia (EA)
- The Intellectual Property Society of Australian and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- The American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- The Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- The International Trademark Association (INTA)